About David Barsamian
One of America's most tireless and wide-ranging investigative journalists, David Barsamian has altered the independent media landscape, both with his weekly radio show Alternative Radio—now in its 30th year—and his books with Noam Chomsky, Eqbal Ahmad, Howard Zinn, Tariq Ali, Richard Wolff, Arundhati Roy and Edward Said. His latest book of interviews with Noam Chomsky is Power Systems. His best-selling books with Chomsky have been translated into many languages. He lectures on world affairs, imperialism, capitalism, propaganda, the media, the economic crisis and global rebellions. Click for a list of recent speaking topics.
He is a winner of the Media Education Award, the ACLU's Upton Sinclair Award for independent journalism, and the Cultural Freedom Fellowship from the Lannan Foundation. The Institute for Alternative Journalism named him one of its Top Ten Media Heroes. He is the recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Rocky Mountain Peace and Justice Center. He has collaborated with the world-renowned Kronos Quartet in events in New York, London, Vienna and elsewhere.
The Boulder Weekly published this feature about him. As Arundhati Roy wrote for The Guardian, Barsamian was deported from India due to his work on Kashmir and other revolts. He is still barred from traveling to "the world's largest democracy."
"Your talk was very educational, thought-provoking and at times entertaining, just what the students needed! I myself learned a lot. Thank you again for speaking at Red Rocks!!!"
-- Simon, Professor, Red Rocks Community College, Denver 2015
"Thank you for giving us your time. Hanging out with you, holding these events, and hearing you talk was an amazing and growing experience for us. The whole team feels very united after the past few days. They send their thanks and best wishes as well."
--Alireza Ghaseminejad, Vancouver, BC 2015
"It is always fun having you here. You bring great information and spirit into all of our lives. I look forward to seeing you down the road."
--Jim Tarbell, Mendocino, CA 2015
- Reform or Revolution?
- Targeting Iran
- Language & Politics: Orwell's World & Ours
- Media and Knowledge
- Global Uprisings
- The Twilight of Capitalism
- Media & Democracy
- Imperialism: Then & Now
- War of the Words
- U.S. Foreign Policy: Old Wine, New Bottles
- Getting Banned From India
- India: Revolts & Rebellions
- Kashmir: The Struggle for Freedom
- Pakistan: Never Ending Disaster
- Afghanistan & Pakistan
- NPR & PBS - Decline & Fall
- Palestine: Remembering Edward Said
- History & Memory: Celebrating Howard Zinn
- The Warfare State
- The Permanent War Economy
- Media & U.S. Empire
- Embedded Media, Imperial Wars
- Imperial America: Last Tango in Waziristan
- United States of Denial
- Terrorism: Theirs & Ours
- The Current Crisis in the Middle East
- Imperial Media, Imperial Wars
- Power Failures
- I Have a Drone
- Capitalism & the Environment: Collision Course
- Turkey & the Armenian Genocide: Case Study in Denial