One of America’s most tireless and wide-ranging investigative journalists, David Barsamian has altered the independent media landscape, both with his weekly radio show Alternative Radio—now in its 33rd year—and his books with Noam Chomsky, Eqbal Ahmad, Howard Zinn, Tariq Ali, Richard Wolff, Arundhati Roy and Edward Said. His latest books are with Noam Chomsky: Global Discontents: Rising Threats to Democracy and Edward Said: Culture and Resistance. He lectures on world affairs, imperialism, capitalism, propaganda, the media and global rebellions.
David Barsamian is the winner of the Media Education Award, the ACLU’s Upton Sinclair Award for independent journalism, and the Cultural Freedom Fellowship from the Lannan Foundation. The Institute for Alternative Journalism named him one of its Top Ten Media Heroes. He is the recipient of Lifetime Achievement Awards from the Rocky Mountain Peace and Justice Center and the South Asian Network for Secularism and Democracy. He has collaborated with the world-renowned Kronos Quartet in events in New York, London, Vienna, San Francisco and elsewhere.
Barsamian was deported from India due to his work on Kashmir and other revolts. He is still barred from traveling to “the world’s largest democracy.”
The Boulder Weekly published this feature about him.
Your talk was very educational, thought-provoking and at times entertaining, just what the students needed! I myself learned a lot. Thank you again for speaking at Red Rocks!!!Simon, Professor, Red Rocks Community College, Denver, CO
Christie, manager of Gallery Bookstore in Mendocino, CAThank You David! I can't tell you how many fired-up people I've heard from since your talk. What a great evening!
Ahni in Santa FeThank you David. You are a treasure for your ceaseless dedication and service so focused on exactly what the work needs . the voices of the most poignant luminaries of the world.
Thanks again for the interview David. Your enthusiasm for community radio is a huge boost to us.Sam at CKUW in Winnepeg
It was great to see you again at the CCA, always! Your presentation was as rousting as it was informative. Thank you for gracing our town with your insights and wisdoms in these challenging times.Paulette in Santa Fe
- Resistance in the Age of Trump
- Ecocide: The War on Nature
- Capt. Ahab & U.S. Policy
- Palestine: 50 Years of Occupation
- The Rise of ISIS
- Saudi Arabia, Jihad & Terrorism
- Islamophobia: The Politics of Hate
- Reform or Revolution?
- Targeting Iran
- Language & Politics: Orwell’s World & Ours
- Media and Propaganda
- Global Uprisings
- The Twilight of Capitalism
- Media & Democracy
- Imperialism: Then & Now
- War of the Words
- U.S. Foreign Policy: Old Wine, New Bottles
- India: Revolts & Rebellions
- Kashmir: The Struggle for Freedom
- Pakistan: Never Ending Disaster
- Afghanistan & Pakistan
- NPR & PBS – Decline & Fall
- Palestine: Remembering Edward Said
- History & Memory: Celebrating Howard Zinn
- Eqbal Ahmad: The Engaged Intellectual
- The Warfare State
- Media & U.S. Empire
- Imperial America: Last Tango in Waziristan
- United States of Amnesia
- Terrorism: Theirs & Ours
- Worthy & Unworthy Victims
- The Current Crisis in the Middle East
- I Have a Drone
- Capitalism & the Environment: Collision Course
- Media, Capitalism & Climate Change
- Turkey & the Armenian Genocide: Case Study in Denial